* Take care in putting food in hot oil. Any moisture will cause the oil to splatter, possible causing burns.
* Keep knifes sharp. A sharp knife is safer than a dull one.
* Never use shrimp if in doubt of it's freshness. Dispose of it.
* Always keep pets and children at a safe distance from the stove or outdoor grills.
* Always use a knife with cutting strokes away from you, not toward the hands.
* Keep a fire extinguisher handy near the kitchen and know how to use it.
* Have a working smoke detector near the kitchen
* Never allow chicken (or other raw meat) to contact other food, utensils, cutting boards or your hands before washing.
* Keep hot food hot and cold foods cold.
* Keep pot holders handy and use them.
* Wash down counters with a weak bleach solution periodically to sanitize them.
* Do not leave food cooking on the stove unattended.
* Use a meat thermometer to determine the doneness of meat.
* Keep your freezer at 0 degrees.
* Keep pot handles turned away from the front of the stove.
* Uncover pots by lifting the side of the lid away from you.
* Never pour water on a grease fire. Use a proper fire extinguisher.
* Wipe up spills on the floor immediately to prevent falls.
* Eat or freeze refrigerated leftovers within four days.